What Are Neuropsychiatric Medicines – Psychiatry and neurology are two branches which have played a vital role in the growth of neuropsychiatry. The growth of neuropsychiatry branch has lead to better understanding of nerves, brain and mind connection to various mental disorders. This branch has attracted attention lately but has sooner gained a good position in the pharma industry worldwide.
Neuropsychiatric drugs market is one of the largest pharma market segments in India. The medications related to mental disorders have inspired millions to better healthcare services. If you don’t know much about neuropsychiatric drugs, then read everything about it! In this article, we are discussing what are neuropsychiatric medicines? We will let you know the kinds of drugs, growth, and demand for neuropsychiatric medicines in near future and much more.
Meaning Of Neuropsychiatry/ Neuropsychiatric
Neuropsychiatry is a combination or amalgamation of neurology and psychiatry. Neurology studies the nervous system especially brain in case of it. Psychiatry relates itself to study of mental illness or disorders. In common both the branches study the abnormality or disorder of the brain. The branch of neuropsychiatry has been a growing subspecialty of psychiatry. It focuses on neuropsychology and behavioral neurology.
Mind/ brain monism (oneness or singleness) have been argued since a long time. It is due to being the same entity. The difference lies in looking at the same system i.e. brain. There were three reasons behind the reason for introducing a common branch:
- Studying both the branches differently for one cause meant that all the mental activity is biological. Neuropsychiatry lays the foundation of a common research framework for all mental disorders.
- The cause of mental illness involved two traditional perspectives. Neurological studies shows “inside-the-skin” perspective i.e. genetics & neuropathology. Psychiatry reveals perspective through “outside-the-skin” causation. This generally implies cultural, personal, and interpersonal. Studying both as one help build better strategies for remediation and rehabilitation for different mental disorders and medication.
- The branch helps lessen the burden or reduce confusion about the mental disorders. It suggests a legitimate or logical reason behind the influence of brain on mental illness.
There have been reports of neuroleptic drugs being used in the 19 century. The results were positive. It leads to a new league of neuropsychiatry branch.
Kinds of Neuropsychiatric Disorders
Neuropsychiatric disorders are mainly related to the manifestation of psychiatric dysfunction of the cerebral brain. They are also classified as organic (including symptomatic) mental disorders. Brain diseases have been linked to causing various neuropsychiatric problems and illness. Here is a list of a few neuropsychiatric disorders that are very common nowadays.
- Eating disorder
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Vascular Dementia
- Mania (Bipolar disorder)
- Mood Disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Visual hallucination
- Auditory hallucination etc.
Different Kinds of Neuropsychiatric Tests For Different Disorders
The neuropsychiatric medication and treatment will need you to go through multiple of tests. The issues related to mind requires to deep study the patient. A mentally ill person has greater chances of ignoring the symptoms. This can be dangerous for the life of the patient and the world. A psychiatric doctor may recommend you tests which concern your symptoms.
The tests are simple. It includes a collection of questions which you need to answer. It helps the doctor know about your mental problems. He can also ask you to perform the task. For example, in autism, tests include performing a few tasks. Observations are made according to the test performance. The medicines will be prescribed according to the results. It is mostly a combination of do’s, don’ts and medicines.
About | Neuropsychiatric Drugs and Neuropsychiatric Reactions To Drugs
Neuropsychiatry is mainly the branch of medicines. It related to the mental disorder due to the dysfunction of the nervous system. These medicines have shown effective results. They take a long time to cure a mental illness. They have shown good mental health indications.
There are many segments of neuropsychiatric drugs. Here take a look at the following:
- Antidepressant drugs (like Edronax, Faverin, fluoxetine, Foraven XL etc)
- Antipsychotic drugs (like InvegaLargactil Latuda, levomepromazine, lurasidone etc)
- Mood stabilizers (Like Tegretol Retard (see carbemazapine), Teril Retard (see carbemazapine), valproate etc)
- Sleeping pills, minor tranquillisers and anti-anxiety drugs (like temazepam, Welldorm (chloral), Xanax (alprazolam), zolpidem etc.)
The drugs have shown positive results but have also shown negative results. There have been reported cases of side effects of the neuropsychiatric drug. They are known to cause the allergic reaction like blindness, suicidal tendencies, and organ damage, shedding of skin, disfigurement, and even deaths. Studies are being made to make more drug discoveries and develop neuropsychiatry drugs for better results.
Growth of Neuropsychiatric Medicines/ Drug Market in India
Neuropsychiatric medicines segment forms the eighth largest segment of Rs 87,937+ crores of the Pharma industry in India. It has currently made a fortune of Rs 5, 646 crores. The neuropsychiatry drug market in India is growing at an impressive rate of compound annual growth rate of 13.7 percent.
India has some of the largest population of mentally ill patients. It was 5 crores as per a report. The stress and cut throat competition have made the generation full of stress. The neuropsychiatry drug market makes available various medicines. The dosage form of which is as follows:
- Tablets/ pills
- Capsules/ Softgel/ caplets/ pallets
- Oral suspension/ powder suspensions etc.
The demand for neuropsychiatric medicines has increased over time. It is currently driving the whole neuropsychiatry drug market to grow at a growth rate ranging from CAGR 13.7 to 15 percent rate. According to a research, the neuropsychiatric drug market will reach an estimated USD 60 million.