How To Start A Cosmetic Manufacturing Company – Looking for the procedure to start a cosmetic manufacturing company in India? Want the steps to set up a cosmetic manufacturing company in India? The cosmetic industry is growing and making huge benefits. If you are thinking to start your own manufacturing company and unit, then we can help you. In this post, we are going to discuss how to start a cosmetic manufacturing company in India.
About | Cosmetic and Cosmetic Regulation In India
According to the Drugs and Cosmetic Act, 1940 a “cosmetic” is “any article intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled or sprayed on, or introduced into, or otherwise applied to the human body or any part thereof for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance, and includes any article intended for use as a component of cosmetic.” The FD&C Act, sec. 201(i) also states the same.
The Drugs and Cosmetic Act of 1945 lay the rules and regulations related to the cosmetic manufacturing companies and units in India. The Schedule M lays the rules and regulations related to the manufacturing of pharma items under Goods Manufacturing Practices (GMP). Schedule M-II tells about the manufacturing of cosmetic. The cosmetics are divided into 11 categories.
- Alcoholic Fragrance Solutions (Cologne)
- Skin Creams, lotions, shaving creams, emulsions, pastes, Bindi (Liquid) Kum Kum Powder, cleansing milk, soap-based/ synthetic-detergent based shampoos, pomade, shaving creams, brilliantine, Hair Oils etc
- Depilatories chemicals
- Preparations used for eyes (Mascara, Eye Liner)
- Hair Dyes (Oxidation hair dyes, Henna Powder, Powder Hair Dye & Liquid)
- Lipsticks, Lipsalve, Cosmetic Pencils & Lip Gloss etc
- Nail Polishes, Nail Enamel and Nail Lacquers
- Skin Powders (Adults and Babies)
- Toilet Soaps (Liquid, Baby, Shaving, Transparent etc )
- Tooth Powders and Tooth Pastes etc
Steps To Start Your Own Cosmetic Manufacturing Company In India
The above list of items and categories define different requirements for manufacturing of each. The liquid, solid and semi-liquid etc preparation requires a different set of machines. This differs with the state to state needs. We have summed up the procedure for you to follow:
- Start by choosing a unique name for your company. It should be attractive and eye catching.
- A location for company premises and factory set up should be ready.
- Register on the GST network. You can apply it now.
- Register your company with the Registrar of Companies under Companies Act, 1956 or 2013.
- Select and finalize the brand name.
- Meet the requirements, documents and fulfilment for a cosmetic license in India. Compliances are made according to Schedule M-II of Drugs and Cosmetic Act, 1945. (Discussed below)
- Once you get the cosmetic manufacturing license number, you can start your company workings.
What Are The Requirements To Set Up A Cosmetic Manufacturing Company In India?
The Drugs and Cosmetic Act, 1945 tells us about the cosmetic manufacturing needs and requirements. These are mandatory for all to fulfil. The initial requirement can vary from state to state. Be sure you fill and submit the correct form with a correct list of essential documents. Here take a look at requirements to start a cosmetic manufacturing company in India:
Form Submission For License: Form 31 has to be submitted to the government licensing authorizes. The license fee and inspection fee has to be made through bank challan. In case you are applying online, a message will be dropped your e-mail account.
Technical Staff Qualification Requirements: The technical staff of the manufacturing company should possess the below educational qualification. The least requirement is at least one person who possesses these educational requirements.
- The person should have Diploma in Pharmacy.
- He/ She should have passed the Higher School Certificate (HSC) exam with chemistry subject. Any other exam recognized as equivalent by the Licensing Authority is legible.
Factory Premises Requirements: The cosmetic factory should be set in a clean and hygienic location with proper sanitary conditions. It should not be near or within a residential area. The place should be free from pests, rodents etc. The rooms should be min 6 feet in height with smooth, waterproof and cleanable walls. The disposal of wastewater should be arrangements.
List Of Required Documents
You need attach the attested documents along with the form. The submission of required documents can differ from state to state and nature of the cosmetic business. This could be skin care products, haircare products, beauty products etc. The documents that you will require to submit are as follows.
- Copy of Fee receipt (No need in case of online filling)
- Appointment letter copy with other details of the technical staff or competent person.
- Blue print of the approved layout plan of the premises
- Ownership papers or rennet agreement stating the premises proof.
- List of purchase bills (machinery, equipment, tools etc).
- Copy of partnership deed (If).
- Copy of original Incorporation Certificate of manufacturing company, & Memorandum of association (MOA) and Article of Association (AOA)
- NOC certificate of the ruling municipality or panchayat for a unit set up.
- State Pollution Control Board permission letter.
- Site Master File (look paragraph 29 of Schedule M) etc
Always remember to work according to drugs and cosmetic acts and FDA laws of Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) and the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act (FPLA). The initial substantiating of cosmetic products safety is your hands.